All Shining Light Doulas adhere to our Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics. This is to ensure a high quality of service to our clients.
Birth Doulas, Scope of Practice:
- Doula’s primary responsibility is to her Client and recognizes that this is her Client’s birth.
- Doula supports her Client’s birth plan and helps her Client to make informed decisions regarding her birth and parenting.
- Doula provides physical, emotional, informational, and mediation support to her Client.
- Doula will, as needed, respectfully mediate and negotiate on the Client’s behalf.
- Doula does not provide medical care, advice or interpretations.
- Doula will not attempt to diagnose a Client’s ailment, symptoms and/or injury.
- Doula will support birth in the hospital, birth center or as a planned homebirth. Doula will support cesarean section birth.
- Doula will support a diverse range of clients, including but not limited to: LGBQT, single parents, alternative family structures, etc.
- Doula must make appropriate referrals if Client’s needs are out of the Doula’s scope of practice.
Birth Doulas, Ethics:
- Doula will maintain her certification and practice within the scope of her certifying body. Doulas in-training will work towards certification and practice within the scope of her certifying body.
- Doula will become and remain professionally competent through continuing education and by connecting with related organizations and local health care providers.
- Doula will carry professional liability insurance.
- Doula will respect the privacy of and confidentiality related to her Client.
- Doula will be respectful to other birth professionals, as well as her Clients.
- Doula will promote the general health of women and their babies and advocate for mothers’ rights, choices and the mother-baby bond.
- Doula will maintain work-life balance so she may better support the mothers and families she serves.
Coming Soon – Postpartum Doula Scope of Practice and Ethics